What is it?
Odors are most often caused by a high level of organic contaminants in the water left behind by users.
Typical spa use obviously creates a much higher level of contaminants in the water than occurs with typical swimming pool use and the aeration and higher temperature of the spa help cause the deposition of skin flakes and oil into the water as well as increased sweating. Obviously the sheer quantity of contaminants and bacteria present in each gallon of water causes a strain on the sanitizer to provide adequate protection and contributes to the need to oxidize or drain and refill periodically.
To fix odors caused by contaminants:
- Take a water sample to your BioGuard Dealer to determine current water balance, adjust accordingly
- Add Water Freshener to remove odors
- Add Enhanced Shock or Spa Shock to oxidize contaminants
- Add Brominating Concentrate or Chlorinating Concentrate to boost low sanitizer levels
To prevent odors:
- Maintain an appropriate sanitizer residual
- Shock/oxidize routinely or as needed depending on bather load
- Test water frequently and adjust as needed